28 January 2014

Wild Blackberry Cordial

Wild Blackberry Cordial on my website www.tesoritrovati.com

Blackberry Eating
I love to go out in late September
among the fat, overripe, icy, black blackberries
to eat blackberries for breakfast,
the stalks very prickly, a penalty
they earn for knowing the black art
of blackberry-making; and as I stand among them
lifting the stalks to my mouth, the ripest berries
fall almost unbidden to my tongue,
as words sometimes do, certain peculiar words
like strengths or squinched,
many-lettered, one-syllabled lumps,
which I squeeze, squinch open, and splurge well
in the silent, startled, icy, black language
of blackberry-eating in late September.

Galway Kinnell
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today is my day over at Earrings Everyday. Please join me there! 


3 comments:

Christine Altmiller said...

Erin~these are beautiful! The colors are so warm and inviting. The poem rings true for me, as blackberry bushes line my yard. I often pick them in the early morning and put them in my yogurt, if I can refrain from eating them all as I pick them. Gorgeous earrings, lovely image. I can taste the cordial :-)

Silver Parrot said...

I love those colors together!

Dawn Doucette said...

I love the blackberry discs Erin! Super fun! I'd wear these earrings all the time! xo

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin