14 January 2014

Say Hello to Delia...

“As if you were on fire from within.
The moon lives in the lining of your skin.” 
~Pablo Neruda



Meet my new friend, Delia.

I have always wanted to have have a model to wear my earrings. I had this idea of using sketches by Da Vinci on canvas, or old cabinet card photos of early 20th century beauties forgotten by time, and I tried to do this several times on my own, but nothing ever seemed right.

I came across her creator in a treasury that featured both of us. Hopping over to her shop, I was enthralled by the hauntingly gorgeous prints by artist Joanna Haber of ABitofWhimsyArt, in particular one called 'The Beauty Within'. I struck up a conversation with Miss Joanna and told her of my desire for a model for my earrings and she agreed that would be a wonderful use of her art and also agreed to put this lovely on canvas to make it more durable for me. She arrived right around Christmas, so lovingly wrapped. I would like to get back to having more of my jewelry available for sale, and my new model, will help me achieve that in very poetic and brilliant fashion befitting her new name.

Hearts & Flowers

I asked my daughter last night what we should call her, because a beauty like this needs a name that reflects her personality. She didn't hesitate. She said her name is Delia. I looked up Delia to find the meaning and it turns out that it usually means 'dark', but the one that I liked the best is that it is the Celtic name for the goddess of fire and poetry. A perfect choice for one so fiery and romantic.

The original art... A Beauty Within

I asked Miss Joanna who this mysterious woman was. This is what she told me...

"She just appeared on paper one day... A lot of my work just starts with a blank piece of paper & my pencil. & I sort of just let my imagination take over. When I was finished with her I didn't know right away what to title the piece... I was sort of thinking like she's the kind of beauty that only exists in fairy tales an "untouchable" sort of beauty... then I thought to myself... that's not true, we all have the ability to be beautiful like this...inside that is. So there you have it, "The Beauty Within". The representation of all that is good & kind in people."

This makes me love Delia even more!

If you would like to view more of Joanna Haber's hauntingly beautiful works of art, please visit her shop ABitofWhimsyArt  or her blog A Bit of Whimsy and tell her that Delia and I are doing fine!

And if you want to know more about the earrings, head over to Earrings Everyday!


8 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Such a great post!!!

jean xox

Mystic Indigo said...

She is beautiful, but she looks a lot like my niece! What a wonderfully inspired idea to photograph your earrings on!! Love it!!

Joanna said...

Oh Erin, I'm so incredibly flattered and honored that "Delia" will be showing off your beautiful jewelry. I'm so in love with your work... Best of luck to you sweet Erin! xo

Alice said...

She's lovely! What a great idea to use her to show off you jewelry.

Unknown said...

Wow. (said in a drawn-out three-syllable reverent tone)

Delia is incredible - and so are you for thinking of such a clever way to have earrings modeled, and so is Joanna, of course! ♥

Shai Williams said...

What a beautiful frame for your gorgeous jewelry! It's a perfect marriage.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful drawing and a fitting display for your work! I've toyed with this idea myself and love seeing someone do it. I've searched the net for pictures that I liked but could never track down an artist. I will check out this lady's shop for sure.

Silver Parrot said...

Love the drawing...I can't help thinking she could be an elf or a faery...is there a pointed ear hiding under that hair?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin